Airsoft Turret

This is the work area for special weapons. Anyone may post ideas about special weapons here. Constructive feed back to all topics is also welcome.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Airsoft Turret

Postby Krylzay » Sat May 24, 2008 11:10 am

I was reading some of the special weapon ideas that people have posted and I thought the air soft cannon was a good idea. I think there should be more special weapons that are more tools for destruction rather than weapons for it. I'm thinking about more of a AirSoft Turret, a combination of both the AirSoft gun idea and the ChainGun turret,.

You would be able to deploy a gun much like the ChainGun Turret that would push people backwards into the air without doing damage. Air is a great place to target heads. This weapon could have close to 500 "puffs" in it due to the fact that it gets redeployed every round. To ensure its not rigged, this gun would have a range smaller than the ChainGun Turret now.

Could cost close to 5 credits and maybe another 3 per 500 puffs of ammo.
Krylzay

Re: Airsoft Turret

Postby FluffyKitty.deadm » Sat May 24, 2008 5:02 pm

What would it shoot? What is the advantage of having more than 1 type of turret?
- Fluffy Kitty.deadm

All things Fluffy are not soft
FluffyKitty.deadm
Site Admin

Postby Krylzay » Sat May 24, 2008 6:06 pm

FluffyKitty.deadm wrote:What would it shoot? What is the advantage of having more than 1 type of turret?

Guess I didn't explain it well enough but I thought the name would do it. It shoots AIR.

The difference being, it propels you instead of damaging you. The advantage being, its easy to shoot someone while they are floating and they are in a sense defenseless. This turret would be a lot harder to kill if it is placed well because if you got too close it would push you into a wall.
Krylzay

Postby FluffyKitty.deadm » Sat May 24, 2008 7:42 pm

Aw, are talking about the post that had the video with a big drum that blew candles out? About all an air cannon could do physics wise is belt your enemy with a slow moving refreshing breeze. Not much of a special weapon. Though those candles got what was coming to them. :D
- Fluffy Kitty.deadm

FluffyKitty.deadm
Site Admin

Postby Krylzay » Sat May 24, 2008 9:17 pm

FluffyKitty.deadm wrote:Aw, are talking about the post that had the video with a big drum that blew candles out? About all an air cannon could do physics wise is belt your enemy with a slow moving refreshing breeze. Not much of a special weapon. Though those candles got what was coming to them. :D

Im willing to disagree with that. Its not like a fan. Its pressurized air. Think about a paintball gun. Paintball guns are small but are able to compress enough air to send a paintball flying. Something larger should have no problem pushing a human with a gun backwards.
Krylzay

Postby Maks » Sun May 25, 2008 5:40 am

Considering the weight of a paintball and the weight of a human + a weapon, you must have some quite heavy compressed air. Could that be fitted in a small enough gun?
Gutenmorgen :-s
Maks

Postby FluffyKitty.deadm » Sun May 25, 2008 9:07 am

It is also not only weight, but also proximity. A paint ball flies because of the expansion of a gas in a confined space. The place between the paint ball and the back of the gun forms a small chamber. Gas of greater volume than the chamber is released. The result is the paint ball moves. Same for a bullet.

It both cases you remove the small chamber, and not much happens if you are any distance away. Try pointing a paintball gun (with no paint balls in it) at some one 10 feet away. On a still day, with some luck, they might be able to detect a breeze.

To push a person you need the force of a jet engine exhaust, or some industrial fans. Even in those cases range is very limited. Air vibrates easily (sound), but strongly resists movement.
- Fluffy Kitty.deadm

FluffyKitty.deadm
Site Admin

Postby Krylzay » Sun May 25, 2008 10:08 am

FluffyKitty.deadm wrote:It is also not only weight, but also proximity. A paint ball flies because of the expansion of a gas in a confined space. The place between the paint ball and the back of the gun forms a small chamber. Gas of greater volume than the chamber is released. The result is the paint ball moves. Same for a bullet.

It both cases you remove the small chamber, and not much happens if you are any distance away. Try pointing a paintball gun (with no paint balls in it) at some one 10 feet away. On a still day, with some luck, they might be able to detect a breeze.

To push a person you need the force of a jet engine exhaust, or some industrial fans. Even in those cases range is very limited. Air vibrates easily (sound), but strongly resists movement.

Let me try to give you an example. They have been using a robot to defuse bombs in Iraq for the last few months. This robot uses air compulsion to fire bullets at possible explosives. Of course a bullet will not work for all cases because obviously they dont want the explosive to blow. Because of this, this robot can fire water, air, and other materials that will fit in its shell. When using any of these ammos from a distance up to about 5 feet a fishing tackle box will in a sense shatter, sending fragments of plastic everywhere. This robot isn't even knee high on a grown man and is about the width of the length between the legs.

What I am getting at is that the technology is there, it just hasn't been there long.

Too add on to that (because the example didn't prove very much if anything) you mentioned a industrial fan. An industrial fan is used to power wind tunnels. If you were to set foot in a wind tunnel you would be pushed back stuck against the wall. For this turret we dont even need that sort of power. Just something to give an initial push and let inertia do the rest.
Krylzay

Postby FluffyKitty.deadm » Sun May 25, 2008 5:32 pm

Note that:
This robot uses air compulsion to fire bullets at possible explosives.
Is another form of:
A paint ball flies because of the expansion of a gas in a confined space.
Notice the key element, a projectile. It is NOT firing air. It is firing a projectile. Remove the projectile from the gun and it would do no damage to the explosive.

Let try explaining another way. All projectile weapons behave the same way regardless of the propellant they use, air, water, gun powder, gasoline, etc. The projectile create a small space between it and the back of the weapon, or casing. The small space is filled with a lot of molecules of the propellant. This builds pressure. The projectile reacts by traveling in the only direction it can, at a very hight rate of speed.

Now if you remove the initial confined space, the energy build up can not occur. Well actually the energy required to move anything is greatly amplified.
- Fluffy Kitty.deadm

FluffyKitty.deadm
Site Admin

Postby Krylzay » Sun May 25, 2008 5:42 pm

FluffyKitty.deadm wrote:Note that:
This robot uses air compulsion to fire bullets at possible explosives.
Is another form of:
A paint ball flies because of the expansion of a gas in a confined space.
Notice the key element, a projectile. It is NOT firing air. It is firing a projectile. Remove the projectile from the gun and it would do no damage to the explosive.

I dont think you read the rest of my post.

Because of this, this robot can fire water, air, and other materials that will fit in its shell.

The robot also uses air as an ammo. Lets also not forget an industrial fan.
Krylzay

Postby FluffyKitty.deadm » Sun May 25, 2008 5:50 pm

No, you were correct when you said bullet. They use a round plastic projectile. I had my brief case shot open by one once. They thought my calculator was a timing device. I am holding the projectile in my hand as I type. If I had a camera I would post it. Note: Never leave your brief case in a parking lot over night.

Now you could shoot a focused high pressure jet of air and do some damage, but you would have to be with in inches of the barrel. The pressures required would be extreme.
- Fluffy Kitty.deadm

FluffyKitty.deadm
Site Admin

Postby Krylzay » Sun May 25, 2008 6:42 pm

FluffyKitty.deadm wrote:No, you were correct when you said bullet. They use a round plastic projectile. I had my brief case shot open by one once. They thought my calculator was a timing device. I am holding the projectile in my hand as I type. If I had a camera I would post it. Note: Never leave your brief case in a parking lot over night.

Now you could shoot a focused high pressure jet of air and do some damage, but you would have to be with in inches of the barrel. The pressures required would be extreme.

The robot I am talking about has yet to be used in our country. When was this?
Krylzay

Postby FluffyKitty.deadm » Sun May 25, 2008 8:28 pm

:roll:
Alright, go ahead and post a link to the device that can stand a distance away from an object and penetrate it with just compressed air.

By the way you do not have to quote every thing. It is a forum, the replies are pretty evident by the order of the conversation.
- Fluffy Kitty.deadm

FluffyKitty.deadm
Site Admin

Postby Maks » Mon May 26, 2008 12:46 pm

You could also put a person in a human sized canon if you want to blow them away :mrgreen:
Gutenmorgen :-s
Maks

Postby Krylzay » Mon May 26, 2008 9:15 pm

Im sorry, I went to far on the compressed air idea. I was thinking more of a fan type thing. I will find you a reasonably sized industrial fan that has enough power to push someone back. I know it wouldn't be able to start and stop on command so I was thinking it would just stay running and act something like the portal sentries, and turn towards you when your in range.
Krylzay

Next

Return to Proposed Weapons