TK's

Have a constructive idea to improve the server? Post it here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TK's

Postby Calamari » Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:28 am

Just a thought, and i've seen it on other servers. But when someone tk's someone, the person that got tk'd can choose to do different things to that person for a round like kill em for a round, or make em blind for a round. just differnt stuff. just a thought. :?: :?:
Calamari

Postby FluffyKitty.deadm » Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:40 am

For those scripts to work the server would have to be made a friendly fire server. When the server is NOT in ff mode team kills, by car etc, are reported by CS as being killed by "world". This means a script cannot detect the difference between someone falling to their death or being runover by another team mate, much less who the team mate was.
- Fluffy Kitty.deadm

All things Fluffy are not soft
FluffyKitty.deadm
Site Admin

Postby Calamari » Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:23 pm

ohhh, alright.
Calamari

Not so sure.

Postby Monkeyboy » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:42 pm

Fluffy, it's your server and you are the one who's put together the mod, so I will have to deffer to your superior knowledge. However the evidence would suggest that to the contrary.

"What makes Monkeyboy think this?", you are problably asking yourself. Well it just so happens that I am one of the worst cs drivers. I run people over quite frequently, not intentionally of course, people always seem to be in my path. The server is nice enough to say, "You've killed a teamate. Be careful." Somehow the server was able to identify that I'm the guy that ran someone over. If I do this enough times it kicks me. Don't believe me. Get in one of the monster trucks durring ka_demo_derby, and run over about three teammates. I think it takes about 3 before you are kicked. In other words, I can manage to get kicked in about 2 minutes flat for killing teammates. Now the server doesn't say that I've been kicked for kills, just that I've been kicked, so mind you it may be some other reason, but it only seems to happen on maps with vehicles, and when I'm driving, and have run a couple of people over already.
When I want your opinion I will beat it out of you.
Monkeyboy

Postby FluffyKitty.deadm » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:18 pm

Yes MokeyBoy the game is aware you did a team kill. Since we do not have the source code to the game we can only react to events the game issues. In the case of a team kill on a non ff server the event that is issued is the player was killed by world. So at the interface point of mods/scripts the killer is known only as world and can not be identified any further, even though the internal state on the game is aware it was a TK.

It all has to do with how and where mods/scripts interface to the game engine and what data is availiable to them. Unfortunately we do not have access to the internal state of the game engine. If we did TRUELY mind blowing mods could be made.
- Fluffy Kitty.deadm

FluffyKitty.deadm
Site Admin

Postby Monkeyboy » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:14 pm

OK. I stand corrected. I guess I assumed that the extent of the data that was passed back to the mod was greater than what you are indicating is the case. As they say, when you make an assumtion, you make an ass of u and mtion. ;)

Just out of curriosity what did you use as the basis for your mod? I understand that there is an sdk for mod makers. Does it provide a skeleton to start from, or did you start from scratch. I would assume that for many of the modifications that you've got on the server, there are already existing mods that do the same thing. Did you use any other mods as starting points? Not trying to be nosy or anything. I'm a software engineer myself, so I'm just curious about these things.
Monkeyboy

Postby FluffyKitty.deadm » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:29 pm

There is an SDK for the game Half-Life. Most games like CS, TFC, etc are based off the SDK. The SDK is for creating new games. The code in the SDK however is not very useful when making a mod to a game, such as the weapon mods on deadm. Mods to existing games use entirely different interfaces and are actually much harder to code. Meta mod provides a basic interface for aquiring data and events, after that everything is developed from scratch.

The SDK works well as example code for how to create explosions etc, but the code it self is un-useable to mod existing games.

To answer your question I had to start coding the mod from scratch, since there were no other mods that did what I was attempting to accomplish. This includes having to write a multi-threaded SQL lib for amx to allow tracking of credits etc without introducing lag into the game.

All the modules were developed in C++.

I also developed most of the scripts running on the server, with the exception of fun scripts like: nuke, kamakazi,etc.

The scripts again were developed from scratch since at the time no other scripts existed to do what I was attempting to accomplish. After several year have elapsed there are now scripts available that do similar functions
to the scripts I had written.

In general I prefer to create from scratch. Most of the code I see out there is buggy junk and I try to stay as far away from it as possible.

Hope that answers your question.
Last edited by FluffyKitty.deadm on Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Fluffy Kitty.deadm

FluffyKitty.deadm
Site Admin

Postby Monkeyboy » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:39 pm

FluffyKitty.deadm wrote:Hope that answers your question.

Yes very successfully. Thanks for responding.
Monkeyboy

TK

Postby blazer » Wed May 05, 2004 6:20 pm

FF on would be really difficult with special weapons. Nades can be indiscriminate. Driving Tanks would also be difficult. You can't see out and too often run over a teammate. I think FF off is the way to go.
Peace
blazer

Re: TK

Postby FluffyKitty.deadm » Thu May 06, 2004 4:19 pm

blazer wrote:Driving Tanks would also be difficult. You can't see out and too often run over a teammate.

You can always TK with a tank even if ff is off.
- Fluffy Kitty.deadm

FluffyKitty.deadm
Site Admin

??

Postby Gods.W » Fri May 07, 2004 2:15 am

I need to learn how to use c++!! lol any pointers? :x
Gods.W

Postby Calamari » Fri May 07, 2004 2:14 pm

go buy a c++ book?
Calamari

Postby Cablekid » Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:21 pm

C++ isent something you can just pick up a book and learn it. It took my Dad his entire life to learn C, C+, and C++ and now he has a great job as a Software Engineer.
Cablekid

Postby Monkeyboy » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:30 pm

Cablekid wrote:C++ isent something you can just pick up a book and learn it. It took my Dad his entire life to learn C, C+, and C++ and now he has a great job as a Software Engineer.

I have a job as a Software Engineer. C++ doesn't take a lifetime to learn. Maybe a couple of weeks/months. To become a good programmer takes a long time.

You can learn C++ from a book, but you won't learn to program from a book. You learn to program by programming.
Monkeyboy

Postby Travis » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:06 am

dude ur all wrong i can learn c++ (if i didnt already know it) in about a week
actually it only takes 24 hours to.
DJ T is here, have no fear!
Travis

Next

Return to Suggestions For Improvement