TK's

Have a constructive idea to improve the server? Post it here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Postby Monkeyboy » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:54 am

Travis wrote:dude ur all wrong i can learn c++ (if i didnt already know it) in about a week actually it only takes 24 hours to.

If you already know a lot of other languages then yes, you can pick up the syntax of another pretty quickly, but I'd say 24 hours is pushing it. The problem comes in learning all of the other things about a language that come allong with it. What are the libraries and conventions that go along with that language. Take Java for example. The syntax is trivial for a c++ programmer to pick up. However there are 2700+ classes that are part of the 1.4.2 java implementation. That doesn't include the half a bajillion other libraries that are in common use with java. The same goes for C++

If you'd like to test yourself, try a language that doesn't look like one that you've seen before. If you've not done any functional programming then check out scheme or lisp. I'll buy your 24 hour figure if you can come back to me with a functioning non-trivial scheme or lisp program in 24 hours.

For example open a file containing a list of 1000 integers between 1 and 1,000,000 in random order, remove all primes, sort the remaining numbers and write the resulting list out to a new file.

If you can do that in scheme or lisp in 24 hours you are as 3733+ as you seem to think you are. I'd even throw in 20 of my credits to make it interesting.
When I want your opinion I will beat it out of you.
Monkeyboy

Postby FluffyKitty.deadm » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:55 am

Keep in mind monkey his idea of learning C++ in 24 hours is hello world. He is only 13 and not old enough to realize what he doesn't know. Lot of luck reading Bjarne Stroustrup cover to cover and comprehending it in 24 hours. Don't even get me started on correct polymorphic object design, a key factor in any C++ program.
- Fluffy Kitty.deadm

All things Fluffy are not soft
FluffyKitty.deadm
Site Admin

Postby Travis » Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:57 pm

o is that so?!?!?!?!? lol that is wut the Sam's Teach Your Self C++ in 24 hours is for? lol i was just going by wut the book said but it did take me longer to learn it because i didnt have my mind set on it
DJ T is here, have no fear!
Travis

Postby FluffyKitty.deadm » Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:00 pm

Kind of proves the point. The SAM's books are great if your table wobbles or you need a drink coaster. As far as teaching much anything beyond hello world they fall dreadfully short. The SAM's books are designed as a starting point for software engineers to help them understand the language. They are not written as the a definitive guide and omit large portions of the language. As I said read Bjarne Stroustrup before you even begin to clain to know his language. Then read any number of object design books to learn how to use it.
- Fluffy Kitty.deadm

All things Fluffy are not soft
FluffyKitty.deadm
Site Admin

Postby Travis » Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:38 pm

yea i know but i can make it work for wut i want i use it when i forget something
Travis

Postby Monkeyboy » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:17 am

Travis wrote:yea i know but i can make it work for wut i want i use it when i forget something

Then I would submit that you have not learned the language.
When I want your opinion I will beat it out of you.
Monkeyboy

Postby Travis » Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:53 am

not every spec of dust
Travis

Previous

Return to Suggestions For Improvement