TK Respawn & New Help page +More

Have a constructive idea to improve the server? Post it here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TK Respawn & New Help page +More

Postby zenix_m$ubn » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:38 pm

Well here a few ideas -

TK Respawn
In many maps w/ vehicles I or some other person is killed. (as_crazytank, air_fight2 - most common, cs_carzzz, etc) If a person is killed by a team member, I feel that they should be respawned. Only once though, as if they keep putting themselves in harm's way, well, they're an idiot personally.

New help page
A many time people are too tired/lazy/bored to type an entire message so they simply use "nt" or "ns" or something else. A new page to help explain the commonly used phrases?

Reformat the pages to fit screen
The MOTD window scollbar cannot be depended to actually do it's job, so I propose reformatting the current pages to fit the window size.

Admin control of Credits
Allow the admin (you, Fluffy) to take/add credits to a person. Maybe allow a special few to do so as well? Probably not ;)

Give/Recivie Credits
A more peer-to-peer implementation of the above. Person A starts the menu, say, gives up 5 creds to Person B. Administrative intervention not required.

Team chatting while dead
You can talk to everyone at any given time, alive or dead, why not chat with just your teammates? (default team chat key is U)

Personal Request from Zenix to Fluffy
Would you mind detailing your method of doing the different features of DMS Mod? Not putting the code up (though that'll be nice :D ) but tell me what you used to do a certain thing. (i.e. you used an array-array-array to hold the player kill count)

Public 100% Yes Spec Weap Arena
Add another vote_ option! vote_special - it's special in 2 ways! 1) Activates Special Weapon Arena and anyone can start it, and 2) Requires 100% yes, otherwise it'll fail. Also, if not everyone votes, it'll fail still. AFK Kick, do your magic faster! :twisted:

That's it for now. No real order of the ideas except for when they came back into my concious (spelling?). Anyways, hope you like it! :)
zenix_m$ubn

Postby lnx[art] » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:23 pm

i think that the fluff credit giving is only designed to be abused(why else would he need to give credits to someone?).

I think that tk respawn should be like once every ten mins or something, because ive been tk twice in one map and its no me putting myself in harms way.

nt and ns and such: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_online-gaming_slang

confused about what team chat while dead is about? you can already talk to your dead team mates when dead. EDIT: Meaning cleared up. That is just paving the way to WAY too much abuse.

vote_special is too likely to be abused, maybe like every 5th map u can.

everything else i agree with.
lnx[art]

Location: In that place with the thing, you know, by that guy.

Postby zenix_m$ubn » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:48 pm

Well, if the Fluffy giving credits is going to be abused, why should Fluffy have made it in the first place if he is the only one going to be able to use it?

TK Respawn - Every 10 mins seems like it'll be reasonable, so maybe ya, that could happen. I don't know.

That wikipedia page is a nice thorugh list, but there are 2 things that I'd like to restate:
  1. This list is for almost all games and makes many references to them (not a strong point)
  2. There is no way to access that page from within the MOTD Window that would hold the otherwise helpful pages

Dead chat - Proably not going to happen as what I mean is that you, dead, team chat with alive ppl. This could lead to ghosting much more, but I dunno :) Ah well.

vote_special - There are times when people don't want to play with special weapons at all. If you read my post again, I state that there should be a 100% agreement with all active players. Therefore, 1 vote for No could ruin it all and everyone will kill him first :P

Otherwise, thanks for the compliments :)
zenix_m$ubn

Postby lnx[art] » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:53 pm

i meant the page is possibly read if some1 wants to know what someone meant and is too shy to ask.

I mean it not like we're gonna think badly of u because u don't know ur gaming slang.

and all games listed there is bad how?
lnx[art]

Postby FluffyKitty.deadm » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:30 pm

lol, post a few ideas there. :) Thx for the input, they are all good ideas. I will try to give feed back on all of them.

TK Respawn
Nice idea. I must confess I am torn though. I VERY much hate to be TK'd, but truth is, it is part of the game. TK'ing adds a dynamic to the game, so I hesitate to remove it. Currently players that TK 4 times get kicked from the server. I will keep this suggestion in mind, and think about it some more.

New help page
I might add a link to the wiki page, but I really do not want to be responsible for documenting leet speak. At any rate new players do not read the online help anyway. They are too lazy and continually ask questions.

The size of the motd screen is based on the resolution the client is running (there is no std size). In my case I see the full page with no need to scroll. Players that use a lower screen (game) resolution have to scroll. The motd window is controlled by I.E. . Upgrading to a later version of I.E. can sometimes help get rid of the no scroll issue.

Admin control of Credits
Hmmm, I am guessing someone wants some more credits. 8) When I wrote the DMS mod I intentionally left this ability out. If admins could give credits they would have to endure constant requests for free credits. The credits are a reward for loyal players of the server. In your case I will make an exception. If you play the server for one hour, I will give you a credit. I guarantee it. 8)

Give/Recivie Credits
In the past I have wondered if we should add a command like this. If a lot of people on the server have a desire to give credits away I will consider adding the command.

Team chatting while dead
The only reason I can think of for a dead player to team chat with a living player is to cheat (ghost).

Personal Request from Zenix to Fluffy
Not sure how to answer this one. The mod is written in C++ and is 936 KB in size. It uses a combination of STL, Singletons, Custom Classes, and Arrays to store information. Given its size and complexity, I do not have much desire to go into more detail than that.

Public 100% Yes Spec Weap Arena
I might add something similar for when the server is very light. In general however, this would defeat the whole reason for special weapons and credits (as a reward to loyal players). It would turn the server basically into a WC3 style server.. eeewwwwwww.

I will say there are one, maybe two, maps I am considering enabling special weapons arena on by default. I won't say which maps, but I am considering the idea. [drunk]
- Fluffy Kitty.deadm

All things Fluffy are not soft
FluffyKitty.deadm
Site Admin

Postby zenix_m$ubn » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:37 pm

FluffyKitty.deadm wrote:lol, post a few ideas there. :) Thx for the input, they are all good ideas. I will try to give feed back on all of them.

Why thank you. You have given feedback to all but they are not the answers I was looking for 8)
FluffyKitty.deadm wrote:TK Respawn
Nice idea. I must confess I am torn though. I VERY much hate to be TK'd, but truth is, it is part of the game. TK'ing adds a dynamic to the game, so I hesitate to remove it. Currently players that TK 4 times get kicked from the server. I will keep this suggestion in mind, and think about it some more.

Hmm, did not know about that. I feel though 4 TK's should get more than a kick. 1 day ban? Dunno. Just more than a kick, if you ask me :)
FluffyKitty.deadm wrote:New help page
I might add a link to the wiki page, but I really do not want to be responsible for documenting leet speak. At any rate new players do not read the online help anyway. They are too lazy and continually ask questions.
The size of the motd screen is based on the resolution the client is running (there is no std size). In my case I see the full page with no need to scroll. Players that use a lower screen (game) resolution have to scroll. The motd window is controlled by I.E. . Upgrading to a later version of I.E. can sometimes help get rid of the no scroll issue.

The size thing, well that's a problem. I wonder if there is a way to determine the size of a client's screen. If you could, just get the common size and size to that.
Hm, I can't scroll at all, so that's why I posted the idea. My biggest complaint is the special weapons page, which is ok outside the MOTD window but otherwise it SUCKS. Ah well, then

FluffyKitty.deadm wrote:Admin control of Credits
Hmmm, I am guessing someone wants some more credits. 8) When I wrote the DMS mod I intentionally left this ability out. If admins could give credits they would have to endure constant requests for free credits. The credits are a reward for loyal players of the server. In your case I will make an exception. If you play the server for one hour, I will give you a credit. I guarantee it. 8)

Har har :) But seriously, I understand your view point. BUT I WANT MORE CREDITS!!!! :lol:

FluffyKitty.deadm wrote:Give/Recivie Credits
In the past I have wondered if we should add a command like this. If a lot of people on the server have a desire to give credits away I will consider adding the command.

Ok, but I really would like to see that. I'm pretty sure someone said they didn't want their credits anymore and offered them to whomever, but I dunno...tried to take up their request but ppl said this doesn't exist. Aw, what a shame though.

FluffyKitty.deadm wrote:Team chatting while dead
The only reason I can think of for a dead player to team chat with a living player is to cheat (ghost).

Figures. I wasn't sure if it would actually happen but I would be glad to see it. No prob then.

FluffyKitty.deadm wrote:Personal Request from Zenix to Fluffy
Not sure how to answer this one. The mod is written in C++ and is 936 KB in size. It uses a combination of STL, Singletons, Custom Classes, and Arrays to store information. Given its size and complexity, I do not have much desire to go into more detail than that.

Wow. Only 936KB? That's pretty small if you ask me, but hey, whatever works, right? I really wish you'd go into more detail. Would you in a more private method of communication? You can email me, for example. Or send me everything through Steam Chat. :D That'll be alot to type though... :shock:

FluffyKitty.deadm wrote:Public 100% Yes Spec Weap Arena
I might add something similar for when the server is very light. In general however, this would defeat the whole reason for special weapons and credits (as a reward to loyal players). It would turn the server basically into a WC3 style server.. eeewwwwwww.

I will say there are one, maybe two, maps I am considering enabling special weapons arena on by default. I won't say which maps, but I am considering the idea. [drunk]

Oh...I likey the sounds of that lil bird :D We'll see which maps you may activate them on, but I'm sure they'll rise to #1 & 2 very quickly. :wink:

Also, another request -
Reset/Removal of old High Scores
Well, I'm around the 19,000 rank. I know many people only come on for about 1-10 days then not come back anymore, people who've come for awhile and then quit CS, etc. I'm hoping, just so my rank isn't so low, would you mind removing old scores? I really hate having so low a rank....
zenix_m$ubn

Postby slow man » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:54 pm

about the tk thing....in reply to you zenix i feel the 4tk kick is good as it is, i know i have hit that limit and been kicked on at least two occasions, if you have played with my you no that is not my objective. These occurances have probably all happened on air_fight2, with that map its hard sometimes. After getting the kick i realize how i am playing REALLY is not working and i try to change it after re-connecting. I feel that the kick gets the message across well enough, if it was a ban i would probably get mad, and that does not need to happen to get teh point across.
The s l o w m a n is Here...
slow man

Postby lnx[art] » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:52 am

the tk kick should bacome a ban if the person just comes on and does it again and again.

Is there a way to ban for the remainder of the map? that would work so that maps like air_fight2, which is among the few maps u can actually tk on, the person could be banned, then come back when its not possible for him/her to tk anymore.

Edit so i don't double post:
About the ranks: If you came on and didn't play much, ur rank would be higher (my rank is about tghe same as urs zen), because then u wouldn't die as much or suicide as much. If im corrsect, the players who come on for the first time have like a zero? no kills and no deaths?
lnx[art]

Return to Suggestions For Improvement