Frequent Conntection Failure

Post here if you are having issues with Steam, Counter-Strike, Cheating Death, or the map pack. Someone might be able to help.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Frequent Conntection Failure

Postby Angel of Death » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:27 am

Hey all,

since about last saturday i have been getting frequent connection failure wanings. it happens about every 15 and 30 or so min. usually when im shoot'n the place up [boom]. I just switched ISPs and i dont think thats the problem. None of my other services fail, only my connection to deadm. also if i play dod it works fine, no prob.

suggestions would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks in advance.
A hero is no braver than any ordinary man, but is braver for five minutes longer.
Angel of Death

Postby Maks » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:24 am

have u checked ur console for any errors? and what message do you get?
Gutenmorgen :-s
Maks

Postby Angel of Death » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:44 pm

console says nothing. i susually get no error but the Warning: Connection Problem. Then i dissconnect or occasionally it will say server timed out but the server still thinks im playing and does not release my id from the server.

I did do a packet capture while playing. cant figure out which protocol to decifers the packets. if i do ill let you know. im using ethereal (http://www.ethereal.com/) in case anyone wants to know.
A hero is no braver than any ordinary man, but is braver for five minutes longer.
Angel of Death

Postby FluffyKitty.deadm » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:06 am

I did do a packet capture while playing. cant figure out which protocol to decifers the packets.
HL sends its data in UDP packets, but etheral will not understand the contents since it does not have a decoder for the HL/CS data stream.
- Fluffy Kitty.deadm

All things Fluffy are not soft
FluffyKitty.deadm
Site Admin

Postby Angel of Death » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:40 pm

yea i was reading uo on that last night. browsed the internet for a while looking for one and had no luck. know where i can get one?
Angel of Death

Postby FluffyKitty.deadm » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:11 pm

Nope. I would be suprised such a thing exists. Packet sniffers are written toward protocols that are RFC based. Individual game protocols change too often and have too small of a user based. At any rate a packet sniffer will not help you diagnose your problem.

Basically packets between your computer to the server are being interupted. Typical culprits are: the computer, router, firewall, modem, or ISP. Any of those items that have been changed recently would be suspect.
- Fluffy Kitty.deadm

All things Fluffy are not soft
FluffyKitty.deadm
Site Admin

Return to Support for Problems