Possible virus in map pack can you help me fix my comp?

Post here if you are having issues with Steam, Counter-Strike, Cheating Death, or the map pack. Someone might be able to help.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Possible virus in map pack can you help me fix my comp?

Postby killerbumblebee » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:06 pm

ahhhh i need help! any one who can fix this will be my god! ill show you exactly what happens.(look at pic)Image

this started happening the day after i downloaded the mappack from your site....please read.

Basicly i click on dod or cs or any other steam game and it does that. including the pop up in the corner w. my nortins. So far i have done every thing possiable asside from taking it in to get looked at.

If it is a virus that is causing this gameing issue i have run multiple virus scans and spybot scans. none of wich turning up any thing. The log tells me its from this sorce C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\Local Settings\Temp\~2E.tmp but when i put that in to run or search ~2E.temp nothing shows up. and a windows error pops up saying it doesn't exist or something. i tried deleting the Temp file, and that didn;t work. So if any one has any advice on what to do then please let me know asap! cus i wana be back to pwning! ;~p BEE
Last edited by killerbumblebee on Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
killerbumblebee

Postby FluffyKitty.deadm » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:27 pm

I do not see a pic??

I just did an md5 checksum of the map pack on the web site. It has not been tampered with in any way and contains no mal-ware or virus.

What devices do you have made by HP?
- Fluffy Kitty.deadm

All things Fluffy are not soft
FluffyKitty.deadm
Site Admin

Postby killerbumblebee » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:43 pm

i added the pic sry bout that... but what was your question about hp? i have a hp pavailian. w/ nortins and avg the only thing i could think of that i downloaded that night was the map pack so i wasn;t sure if it came from there. but any clue on how to fix my problem.?
killerbumblebee

Postby Hit~Me » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:30 am

I have had the same issue, I have been turning off protection inorder to get on. I ran scan and Norton said it detected and removed a worm
Hit~Me
Server Admin
Server Admin

Postby FluffyKitty.deadm » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:38 am

Yeah seems other have also. Searching the steam forums for, "trojan horse" turns up several thread like: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575256&highlight=trojan+horse

The issue seems to of occurred after that last Symantic update.
- Fluffy Kitty.deadm

FluffyKitty.deadm
Site Admin

Postby killerbumblebee » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:12 pm

well after a system restor it didn't work maby i should just not use nortins and use avg...
killerbumblebee

Postby FluffyKitty.deadm » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:26 pm

Or you can turn off the active scanning, launch cs, turn active scanning back on. They mention that in the post. Since it appears to be a symantic issue, reinstalling will do no good.
- Fluffy Kitty.deadm

FluffyKitty.deadm
Site Admin

Postby Hit~Me » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:51 pm

Nortons has a fix just do live update
Hit~Me
Server Admin
Server Admin

Return to Support for Problems