mIRC virus?

Post here if you are having issues with Steam, Counter-Strike, Cheating Death, or the map pack. Someone might be able to help.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mIRC virus?

Postby ShabbyBoy » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:05 pm

Okay, so I got this virus on my PC. I got a tray icon on my startbalk thats just an empty icon, when I go over it with my cursor it says mIRC. When I try to close it, it comes back in a matter of seconds and opens 8 windows of IE (also when I start up my PC). I have Avast antivirus, and I did a full system scan, but it didn't help. Also a program that bundels a lot of anti-spyware programs didn't help. I can't find it in my task manager. I neither can find it in the list of programs that start automatically when my PC starts (start -> run -> msconfig)

Now, besides opening 8 windows of IE everytime it runs, I didn't have a lot of trouble with it. But now my problem: I recently installed CS again, and everytime I'm connected to a server, my CS window minimizes, and when I try to maximise it, it minimizes again! It looks like it stops once I hit the Continue button, but that's preety difficult since I only have like a tenth of a second to see that button before CS minimizes again.. So I think this has something to do with the virus, can someone help me?

:-k
Violated wrote:Put the whip down fuff, thats's it put it down, no no what are you doing ouch stop, stop.
ShabbyBoy

Postby ShabbyBoy » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:40 pm

Also, when I type /stats, and then select an option, my CS totally crashes!
Violated wrote:Put the whip down fuff, thats's it put it down, no no what are you doing ouch stop, stop.
ShabbyBoy

Postby FluffyKitty.deadm » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:20 pm

The /stats issue is prob also tied to the virus. Most of the stat items open web page windows. Steam uses IE to display those pages in the game. So anything that impacts IE can impact the /stats items.

About all I can suggest is stop installing the pirated software you keep using and you will have fewer problems with viruses.

After that try searching the web. I had some nasty spyware once and found a post on the web on how to remove it.
- Fluffy Kitty.deadm

All things Fluffy are not soft
FluffyKitty.deadm
Site Admin

Postby ShabbyBoy » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:13 am

Yeah I found some usefull information on this site... Also, I see now I can't open any site with IE since I ran the anti-spyware software, so I'm gonna try to reïnstall IE..
ShabbyBoy

Postby ShabbyBoy » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:01 am

Okay, I found a Dutch topic about this virus on some computerforum.. It's a lot of geek talk in there, but I managed to stop the mIRC program from running when I start my PC, my IE is also fixed. The virus is not yet removed, but for now I'm happy..

Let's see if I can use the stats now...
ShabbyBoy

Postby lnx[art] » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:04 pm

btw incase anyone didnt know here mIRC is an irc client (duh!) thats also called miranda IRC(could help you look for info.

A little off-topic: I use Opera instead of IE.. If it wasnt so integrated with windows i would have uninstalled IE long ago...
lnx[art]

Location: In that place with the thing, you know, by that guy.

Return to Support for Problems