Fluffy's Flare Tactics

Discussions and stratagies to improve your game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Fluffy's Flare Tactics

Postby shrew.deadm » Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:23 am

***THIS POST WAS ORIGINALY POSTED BY FLUFFY KITTY.DEADM***

I am merely transporting it to this forum because i think its a very usefull guide for one of the most mis-played weapons.

Flare Tactics:

Using flares to distract Body Heat Activated missiles can be tricky. Here are some tips to help you out. I should mention that flares ONLY distract Heat and Drunk missiles. Don’t use flares to distract an RPG. It will fail with miserable results.

Missile Background:
First I want to describe how the seeker mechanism works on missiles. While the missile is “seeking” it uses a 50 degree field of view to scan for targets. Once the missile has acquired “target lock” it tracks the target with a 12.5 degree field of view. These numbers are important because for a flare to distract a missile the flare must be within the missiles field of view.

Basic Strategy:
Put simply use flares to alter the course of a missile away from you. A flare does not stop or damage a missile in anyway. Flares only distract the missiles navigation system in an attempt to move the missile to an area where you are no longer in it's field of view. Flares work best when fired at right angles to the missile or the person firing the missile. This means you would turn so the missile or person launching the missile is to your side, and then fire the flare.

Things to Never Do:
- Never fire a flare directly at a missile or at a person launching the missile. This only serves to change the missile’s trajectory to point at you. Once the missile flies through the flare it will lock onto you and you will go BOOM.
- Never get between a flare and a missile. If you block a flare the missile can only see you.
- Never stand too close to a flare. If the flare attracts a missile the explosion can injure you.

Strategy for Heat Seeker:
Try to surround the player that has the heat seeker with flares. The flares should be a slight distance away from the player and at his level but no far enough away to be out of the 50 degree field of view. When done properly this method renders a heat seeker useless. As soon as a missile leaves the weapon it will fly to a flare and explode.

Strategy for Drunk Missile:
Do not use the tactic for Heat Seekers against a Drunk missile. The seeker mechanism of a Drunk missile takes a few seconds to activate. Any flares near the launcher will be passed over by Drunk missiles. Point the flare gun at the ground where you are standing and fire. Run to a new position and fire another flare at the ground. Keep doing this. Make sure to keep the flares between you and the drunk missiles. You will end up with a map full of low slow moving flares that causes havoc with Drunk missiles.

If a Missile Has a Lock on You:
- Turn so the missile is coming in on your side.
- Run backwards and fire a flare.
- Continue to run backwards until the missile passes. This will put the most distance possible between you and the missile.

Postby terrorizorpwns » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:53 am

sounds good ill try it
-=D.A.=-TeRrOrIzOr^LdR N&I

terrorizorpwns

Return to Game Tactics