Extreme Air Cooling

Post general conversations and topics here

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Extreme Air Cooling

Postby Violated » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:40 pm

Well i'm pretty bored and since i never come around much anymore i thought i would make a post.

During winter i have been messing around with idea's for better air cooling ( got a couple google sketch ups of other ideas ). Well one of my idea's i just jumped in and started tackling it hands on. This idea allows for air cooling with very good results, though the one flaw is that it is season based. During the winter months i achieved a pretty impressive 15 - 20C on all major components ( Ram, Chipset, CPU, GPU ) all on stock heatsinks. I believe i could have achieved at least another 5C drop if i upgraded the heatsinks and used some good thermal compound like arctic silver. Bare in mind that i had no components overclocked except my old ati 9200, and my whole system doesn't compare to the more modern builds where the components run even hotter and with the addition of overclocking there are some high temperatures to face. I think even with a top of the line rig that is overclocked it should be able to run it well under the recommended max temp of each component.

To explain whats going on here i removed the face of my tower and used tape to cover as many places air could flow to draw as much through the hose as possible. The other end of the hose is ran through some foam and out a window, foam was used to insulate the rest of the opening in the window. The little door in the cardboard was made so when the hose is not in use i could open the door to relieve some stress on the fans. I recently added a cut out in the tape for my HDD since it was in a dead spot of air and they warmed up pretty good. Used to have them in front of the intake fan but moved them up for better air flow.

"I will slaughter you like a wolf among lambs, the seas will run red!, with the blood of my enemies!!."
Violated
Server Admin
Server Admin

Postby SpongeBob » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:53 pm

Umm. If you're trying to figure out better cooling systems awesome. Unfortunate that the computer cooling system would not fit in the cubby of my desk. If you can make it smaller sign me up for the 23 buyer of it! :D
>>---(^o^)--> I used to beat fluffy at CS.
SpongeBob

Postby FluffyKitty.deadm » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:42 pm

I love all the blue masking tape. I am disappointed you didn't use duct tape. It would of added the perfect Red/Green touch 8) .

Now If I understand correctly you are pulling winter air from the outside and forcing it though your case. Doesn't that basically end up colling the room? Depending on the outside temperature I doubt the computer can warn the air to room temp. So don't you just end up dumping cold (or cooler) air into your room?
- Fluffy Kitty.deadm

All things Fluffy are not soft
FluffyKitty.deadm
Site Admin

Postby Dark Soldier » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:38 pm

do you know about everything fluffy? lol ur real smart
Dark Soldier

Postby Violated » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:12 am

Yes, unfortunately it did cool the room a great deal which i have came up with a simple solution, run another hose or maybe two ( less restriction ) on the backside and then route it back outside.

The whole purpose of all this is to see if it might be worth incorporating it into the design of the case i would like to build. The only conclusion i came up with is that it works extremely well during cold weather perfect for overclocking. It's more of a personal problem if i want to downclock and remove the hoses every spring or not and lose the extra overclocking ability. It's still all on paper, i don't have the hardware to overclock i keep talking about.
"I will slaughter you like a wolf among lambs, the seas will run red!, with the blood of my enemies!!."
Violated
Server Admin
Server Admin

Postby Chris_in_Jersey » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:08 am

my head hurts... too many smart things being said.... but fluffy, you do know a lot about this kind of stuff... at least it sounds like you do... i wouldn't know, i don't even know how to take the screenshots i saved and send them to you.
when it comes to cs all i have to say is "OW"

helping the winners lose and the losers continue losing

cling_crash aka hawk-eye mehawk aka chris aka zar'roc and possably more.....
Chris_in_Jersey

Postby Maks » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:11 pm

Do you know the temperature of your computer when using that sweet cooling you made their? :D
If you do, could you also post it in Celsius degrees?
Gutenmorgen :-s
Maks

Postby Violated » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:37 pm

Idle - Without Hose
Incoming air = 74F* / 23C*
Chipset = 100F* / 38C*
RAM = 100F* / 38C*
GPU = 98F* / 37C*
CPU = 96F* / 36C*

Idle - With Hose
Incoming air = 30F* / -1C*
Chipset = 60F* / 15C*
RAM = 62F* / 16C*
GPU = 54F* / 12C*
CPU = 56F* / 13C*

-------------------------------------------

Load - Without Hose
Incoming air = 74F* / 23C*
Chipset = 104F* / 40C*
RAM = 109F* / 43C*
GPU = 100F* / 38C*
CPU = 100F* / 38C*

Load - With Hose
Incoming air = 30F* / -1C*
Chipset = 63F* / 17C*
RAM = 66F* / 19C*
GPU = 55F* / 12C*
CPU = 58F* / 14C*
Violated
Server Admin
Server Admin

Postby Maks » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:16 am

Very nice indeed :lol:
Gutenmorgen :-s
Maks

Postby FluffyKitty.deadm » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:33 pm

Why not switch to liquid cooling. Air has very poor thermal transfer properties. Its acts more like an insulator than a conductor of heat. Fluids have denser molecular structures making them better transfer systems.

You could submerge the motherboard in non conducting transformer oil (or maybe even Mobile 1, assuming it is non conducting). The more oil you use increases its thermal mass and there by its cooling capacity. You would probably have to add a pump and radiator if you ran for long periods of time. A radiator could be mounted any where, inside the house, outside the house, in a freezer. 8)
- Fluffy Kitty.deadm

All things Fluffy are not soft
FluffyKitty.deadm
Site Admin

Postby Violated » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:15 pm

Well as said by fluff liquid cooling would yield better results, minimize noise, and make everything im doing pointless but i do this in the name of learning and cause i don't seem to have much else to do.

Here is a Google SketchUp of an idea that would give better control for individual major components and would allow more direct outside air to reach the component. The overall size would make it stand almost as tall as a full tower but would be thinner, it would probably work best laying on it's side based on the principle that hot air rises. There are flaws like the case needs to be modified if i use a different motherboard, the 4 pin and 20/4 pin power connectors might not reach unless you route them a crazy way, side panel access would be weird with the 4 fans being mounted on it.

http://home.comcast.net/~violated/angle.png

http://home.comcast.net/~violated/front.png

http://home.comcast.net/~violated/back.png
Violated
Server Admin
Server Admin

Postby zippy01 » Mon May 05, 2008 11:12 pm

if you find a way to cool the computer without cutting a huge hole in my wall sign me up(also my window doent open
zippy01_rules@hotmail.com
stand still so i can shoot you
NOOK
zippy01

Re: Extreme Air Cooling

Postby person » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:37 pm

so basically its a mini ventallation system for your computer instead of using a window i would use mini fan or somthing because if its really hot outside ur comp would overheat and go BOOM and everyone would die (even kane)
I AM THE TEH LEET PERSON
http://std-lori.mybrute.com fight me
person

Return to General