Question Regarding Team Formations

Post general conversations and topics here

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Question Regarding Team Formations

Postby justone10minute » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:56 pm

It has been brought to my attention that I can no longer be on the same team as meri, whether or not I selected auto team at the beginning of the map. I understand that this is a private server and the admin/mods have his/her perferences, but I wish to understand what brought about this sudden change in policy. I have played here for more than five years and no admin has ever any similar request during my stay here at deadm. Why now? Why meri?

Do the admin(s) believe that by having meri and I on the same team, it shifts the dynamics of the game significant enough to warrant a change? Do the admin(s) consider the two of us on a specific team stacks that team? Why are we the target? Has any other two individuals been asked the same thing? If not, why are we different than other players that we require a separation?

Please do not misunderstand me. It is not a desire to keep meri on my team for she does not change my gameplay. I am merely surprise that such a request is made and wish to understand the reasoning behind it.

Statistically speaking
my k/d ratio 7534/3264 ~ 2.30
meri k/d ratio 3262/2025 ~ 1.61

According to the request, I am unable to have anyone with a k/d ratio of 1.61? Should I be checking to see if anyone else on my team has a higher than 1.61 k/d ratio so I should switch to the other team? What if both teams have players with higher than 1.61 k/d ratio?

Is there a hidden rule that I do not know about? What am I missing? I thank you in advance for reading this rant and expressing your opinions.
"the scar had not pained Harry for 19 years. All was well."
say hi if you see me
safety place w/ C.L.Fox
s.tudents.harps.HOOTER
justone10minute
trust me, i'm a jedi
Hero Drink
justone10minute

Postby FluffyKitty.deadm » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:08 pm

The catalyst for the request is a follows:
1) For weeks (if not months), for every single map, you are always on the same team.

2) When the auto team balance moved one of you, you disconnected/reconnected repeatedly until you were on the same team.

3) If players asked you to switch, you would reply with a snide remark and continue the disconnect/reconnect to make sure you were always on the same team.

The truth is if you had used auto-join, or not deliberately circumvented the auto-team balance, or if this had not gone on for as long as it did, we would not be having this conversation.

Sadly that is not the case. Instead we have a situation that in place of correcting itself, was deliberate, escalating, and adversely impacting other players on the server.

My desire is that players self regulate them selves for the better of the overall game play. When that does not happen big brother has to step in, and here we are.
- Fluffy Kitty.deadm

All things Fluffy are not soft
FluffyKitty.deadm
Site Admin

Postby meri » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:50 pm

Your request just came as a surprise as I've been coming to this server for about 4 years, and although I have been on justone's team in most maps, no one said it was a problem. Like anyone else, I like to play with friends. I never thought this was problematic since I've seen how most of the admins usually went on one team if possible. But in retrospect, I do think it's reasonable for us to be on different teams every so often and I'll make it a point to do so from now on.

In reply to some of your comments:
2) I have always stayed on the other team when I've been autoed. When you spoke to us on de_crazytank, I had already been on justone's team from the first round. I reconnected several times back to the same team since the players voted for awp and I kept dying and therefore losing money.

3) No one has asked me to switch teams except for today from DeadlyChokingVic. And I have never said anything rude to anyone unless they directly attack me; and even then I usually ignore them or just give an "lol".
meri

Postby Maks » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:39 am

There has been another duo that had to be seperated from time to time. Though they don't play anymore, Fluffy knows who I'm talking about. But it wasn't even the skilled part like with you guys but more the too much talking through the microphone wich, apparantly, annoyed some people. I mean, we were not the only ones talking through the microphone, Fluffy does that all the time, but who gets the punishments, we the players. We must rise up against Fluffy, this has gone too far! Viva la revolution! Too bad he has the power to ban :-({|=
Gutenmorgen :-s
Maks

Postby FluffyKitty.deadm » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:11 am

lol Maks. As I remember it these two mystery people you speak of did not just talk alot, but pretty much kept their mics keyed open so no other players could use the mic. This again went on for days. Players on the server were complaining. I also seem to remember the multiple requests to simply talk less so other players could use the mic. To say for example where the bomb was planted.. When those requests failed, elevated actions were taken. Basic ground rule is once anyones actions adversely impact other players, we have an issue.

Meri, it is true I have never seen you say anything snide to any player. Actually I have hardly noticed you talking at all. This is why my preference is to use email for this type of communication rather than a public forum. It prevents feelings from getting hurt.

As for your concern of Admins team stacking, they for the most part, use auto join. I can say this since the admins test new mods/weapons on the server. As part of the testing all client commands are tracked. It is also worth noting that when auto switched the admins do not try to switch back. If they did, I would step in, as I have here, to correct the issue.

Admins do not get special treatment. They actually have to follow more rules than the players and are bound by an, "Admin Rules Of Conduct".
- Fluffy Kitty.deadm

FluffyKitty.deadm
Site Admin

Postby justone10minute » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:42 pm

I do not have the power to make the other team's players stay in the match when they get repeatedly beaten.
I do not have the power to balance the teams when I am on the losing team getting repeatedly beaten by a team with 2 more members and two admins on airfight2. The truth of the matter is, players do not like to lose.

Auto-join does NOT work to solve this problem.
First of all, every map that we've played had the same number of people at the beginning.
The problem lies within the fact that players go to another server when they lose or they reconnect to rejoin the winning team.
Our playing on the same team cannot change the behavior of others. Any player(s) who are dominating a map will cause a stack either by having the losing team's members join the winning team or by having the losing team's members leave the server.
Unless you can somehow manage to convince the players to stay when they losing, there will always be stacked teams (as in 4 vs 2 or 8 vs 5) when one team is dominating the other.
Auto team balance does not work because players will leave once they die. They will not wait for the round to end.

To take an example,
At beginning of round, 8v8
One player kills 3 players, of those 3 players, 2 of them leave 8v6
Round finishes 8v6
Round starts with 8v6
Auto team balance next round
One player kills 3 players, of those 3 players, 2 of them leave 8v4
Teams are balanced giving the losing team two of the worst members on the winning team 6v6
Cycle repeats

I don't think you've understood my previous argument.

I will be quiet upon entering the server.
say hi if you see me
safety place w/ C.L.Fox
s.tudents.harps.HOOTER
justone10minute
trust me, i'm a jedi
Hero Drink
justone10minute

Postby FluffyKitty.deadm » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:09 pm

Keep in mind this has nothing to do with players loosing. Instead, as has been clearly described, it is about a deliberate pattern of behavior. This is your opportunity to voluntarily adjust that behavior.
- Fluffy Kitty.deadm

FluffyKitty.deadm
Site Admin

Postby justone10minute » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:17 pm

I believe I have either mentioned to you or another admin that I am always the first one to join a side on a map any given round. So if anyone should adjust his/her, it should be meri since she joins after I. And I will make every effort to be on the opposing side of the team should meri join my team.

The reason I bring up the issue of the losing team problem is because I believe that is the root cause of the complaint. If an individual and I were causing a team to constantly lose, we would not be having this conversation.

Thanks for your prompt replies. I will do as you requested.
say hi if you see me
safety place w/ C.L.Fox
s.tudents.harps.HOOTER
justone10minute
trust me, i'm a jedi
Hero Drink
justone10minute

Postby meri » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:34 pm

:oops: I didn't mean it as an attack on admins by saying they often went on one team, it was just something I had observed every now and then as I played. Now that I'm aware that I shouldn't always be on justone's team, would it be acceptable if I were half the time?

On a completely unrelated subject... is there an air_fight1 or air_fight map or some precursor to air_fight2?
meri

Postby Maks » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:44 am

Yes there is, it is exactly the same as air_fight2 but the spawn places are a little bit different, instead of a hole in ground with guns and vests, it's just a plain leveled spot where the guns and vests are lying.
Gutenmorgen :-s
Maks

Return to General